Why a smartphone can not replace a professional camcorder while traveling?
Many travelers refuse to use professional photo and video equipment while traveling in favor of smartphones. The cameras of modern phones are really capable of many things (including high-quality shooting). In addition, mobile devices, as a rule, are much lighter and more compact than video cameras or professional cameras, and free space in a suitcase has never been superfluous for a tourist.
And yet, not a single smartphone can fully replace a professional video camera or camera during a tourist trip or hike. Why? Let’s try to figure it out.
Than a professional camcorder is better than a smartphone: the point of view of an experienced traveler
Despite the fact that smartphones are compact in size, they can perform several functions at the same time, practically do not take up free space and charge quickly, it is quite difficult for them to compete with professional equipment for shooting. Camcorders and cameras have several obvious “trump cards”.
1. Security. Of course, many mobile phones today boast a high degree of security, but almost all of them are not adapted for use in really extreme conditions. So, even the most moisture-resistant models are far from always able to “survive” after prolonged immersion in water. As for professional video cameras, among them there are models designed specifically for shooting under water, operating in the wild, in the desert at too high a temperature, or, conversely, during snowfalls or in the rain.
2. Shooting in low light conditions. Shooting in the dark is a sore spot in many modern smartphones. Even the most advanced models often shoot in poorly low light conditions. A similar problem is unlikely to be encountered by users of professional camcorders. For example, cameras equipped with a highly sensitive CMOS sensor and additional backlight, for example, Sony’s brand guarantee amazing video quality even if there are no sources of natural or artificial lighting. Sony professional camcorders can be purchased online.
3. Videography against the sun. In such cases, glare on the smartphone screen does not allow to make a high-quality video. Save only special anti-glare protective films or glass for the screen. Professional video cameras do not require the use of additional accessories – they are equipped with a viewfinder, with which you can easily control the shooting process even under direct sunlight.
4. Ability to use interchangeable lens. Unfortunately, for owners of smartphones, the ability to use interchangeable lenses for shooting at different distances and in different conditions is not yet available. Of course, modern mobile equipment stores offer users various “tips” for smartphone cameras, but they certainly cannot compete with professional camera lenses.
5. A powerful processor designed exclusively for creating and processing images. The processors of modern smartphones are multitasking – and this, of course, is a plus when it comes to simultaneously performing several resource-intensive tasks. However, photography is not a priority feature of a mobile device, so its results may not always satisfy the requirements of even an amateur photographer.
6. Autonomy. Due to the consumption of battery resources not only for photo and video shooting, but also for other tasks, the smartphone can not boast of very high levels of autonomy, while the camcorder is able to work without additional recharging for a long enough time. In addition, for professional photo equipment, you can use replacement replacement batteries, which are sold in many specialized stores.
7. Convenience of the shooting process. When it comes to extreme conditions, the smartphone almost immediately appears in the list of unusable gadgets. The thing is that it is almost impossible to securely hold it in your hands, which contributes to the appearance of discomfort during the creation of content. The video camera or camera, in turn, can be securely fixed to the neck or belt using a special belt or system of fasteners, thereby eliminating concerns about its integrity and safety.
In addition, only professional video cameras provide high-resolution video, clarity, saturation and realism of each frame captured during a trip.